The University at Buffalo’s Office of Research Advancement (ORA)
is seeking a Director of Research Impacts
who will work in concert with other units to create opportunities and develop partnerships to facilitate the translation of UB faculty’s research for social benefits. The Director will coach faculty on the most effective ways for developing broader impact projects and DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) plans, is a strategic partner to faculty teams through proposal development, and mentor faculty to execute plans for moving the translational function of research projects in an inclusive and equitable manner.
The University at Buffalo’s Office for Research Advancement (ORA) is situated in the VPRED’s Office and provides comprehensive support to researchers to help them pursue external funding. ORA will expand its services to assist faculty expand the public reach and societal benefits of their work by co-developing new models of collaborative, equity-focused broader impact efforts; fostering a culture of authentic, responsive, and enduring partnerships with both internal and external partners; and more broadly, serve as a resource for the UB and the broader University community for the translation of research and scholarly inquiry for societal impact.
The Director, Research Impacts will help strengthen and build collaborations and relationships between and among UB and external stakeholders, and will work effectively and independently with faculty, staff, University leaders and external stakeholders.
Director’s responsibilities include:
- Build UB’s Broader Impacts infrastructure - the Director will be guided by existing work and assessments of current resources available at UB for creating Broader Impacts and DEI plans.
- Provide workshops / programs to help UB faculty better understand funding agencies’ expectations for research impacts so that faculty are better equipped to write stronger and more effective broader impacts initiatives.
- Work with key faculty, center directors, research and communications staff to develop new initiatives for increasing the impact of UB research.
- The Director is not expected to be a subject matter expert but must be familiar enough with research to participate in proposal development and speak knowledgeably about it with external, non-expert audiences.
- Serve as a key liaison on behalf of the UB community with audiences beyond the University. Build bridges with community partners, community stakeholders and practitioners: develop engagement opportunities, and speak to external stakeholders about UB research and its impact in the outside world.
- Together with the Offices for Inclusive Excellence and Community relations, help institute best practices and the most innovative tools and activities to promote a culture of inclusion and equity.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.