Reporting to the Dean of TUSDM, the Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion will serve as a knowledgeable and thoughtful adviser, catalyst for change, and institutional resource for improving diversity, inclusion, and belonging at the School. The goal for this position is to create a more vibrant and supportive school climate and to improve overall cultural competence.
In addition, Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion will serve as the school representative to the University-wide Diversity and Inclusion Cabinet chaired by the two Chief Diversity Officers. This will be an administrative position with a 2-day (0.25 FTE) appointment, in addition to the candidate’s current role.
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provides leadership support for strategic diversity and inclusion priorities and initiatives at the college/school (input for accreditation, school-wide survey, alumni survey, outcomes and improvement).
- Enhances inclusive communications within the college/school and between the unit and the Tufts community.
- Works closely with the diversity and inclusion education and training directors to plan, develop and implement training including but not limited to unconscious/implicit bias, anti-racism, restorative justice, Whiteness, anti-Blackness, bridging cultural gaps, LGBTQ issues and disability awareness.
- Increase the awareness and understanding of issues of diversity and inclusion in faculty through professional development programs and the creation of communities of practice and learning. Works with close collaboration with the Associate Dean for Faculty Development to seek outside speakers, conducts workshops and training as a part of faculty development initiative.
- Helps to identify policies and practices that would lead to hiring, promotion, and retention of more diverse faculty and staff. Supports faculty and staff search committees in understanding principles of diversity and inclusion and helps assure incorporation of best practices for inclusive searches. Works with Office of Faculty Affairs and Human Resources Business Partner on identifying best practices for inclusive searches.
- Serves as a first point of contact for faculty, staff, students, and leadership that have concerns, need guidance, and have programmatic ideas related to diversity and inclusion. Provides coaching and responds to the concerns and needs. Establish a strong visible presence at the School with students and student organizations.
- Prepares college/school responses to an annual University-level audit of Report on Diversity and Inclusion recommendations.
- Ensures the integration of recommendations from the Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Group within the School.
- Helps to form and lead the college/school diversity and inclusion committee working with the Faculty/Staff Advisory Councils.
- Participates in an initial orientation and regular diversity and inclusion professional development organized by the Cabinet, and communicates important ideas to the School.
- Attends an annual Cabinet retreat for strategic planning of Tufts diversity and inclusion priorities.
- Sits on appropriate Committees at the Dental School & University.
Expertise in diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Demonstrated understanding of critical race theory, feminism, queer theory, privilege, protected classes, micro-aggressions, cognitive empathy, and nonviolent communications.
Experience with creating and implementing institutional diversity programs.
Qualified candidates should submit a current curriculum vitae and a cover letter with a description of interest in and goals for the position, as well as contact information (incl. e-mail addresses) for three references. Applications must be submitted electronicall: https://apply.interfolio.com/71133.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a candidate has been selected.
Questions regarding the search process or assistance with uploading applications may be directed to Monika Bankowski, Sr. Faculty Affairs Officer (email@example.com)
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Visit our website for more information about the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine http://dental.tufts.edu/